Par 4, 451 Yards, SI 1
Named after the windmill that was erected in 1926 by Plumpton of Cullompton to pump the water away towards the sea in this low lying part of the course. This worked well and larger open ditches were dug in 1928, 1936, 1960 and 1961. Eventually, the windmill became obsolete and was dismantled in 1973. The brick foundations remained behind the 7th green beside the path from the left hand tee on the 8th hole until they were removed when the pond behind the 7th green was excavated in 1999.
Originally played as the 8th hole on land to the right of the existing hole it was built as part of the 1910 course extension by Herbert Fowler following the Club taking up the option from the lords of the manor offering them the purchase of the lease for the whole Warren. The tee was close to the previous green and the green was to the right of the existing 7th green roughly where the pond is now.
“Another strong par 4. The main feature of this hole is the ridge which runs the entire length of the hole and through the green. Bigger hitters will need to be aware of the fairway bunker which gathers a draw. A tee shot down the right side avoiding the rough will set up a long second shot to a green which is difficult to hit with the ridge which runs through the green making anything running feed off left or right. Always happy to walk off here with a par!”