Par 4, 381 Yards, SI 9
A big feature of the hole. The original first hole was a short blind hole over the top of the sand dunes to a green in a hollow just to the right-hand side of the current practice ground. Following a report proposed by Harry Colt in 1913 to remove all the blind shots and to make the course more challenging by replacing the poor holes.
His initial idea was to build a new first hole running north of today’s 1st to a green close to what was the original 3rd tee (Today’s 2nd tee). But by 1920 when the new hole was built, the design had changed and required the removal of part of the sandhill which forms the gap up the present fairway.
“Into the prevailing wind, this hole usually plays longer than the yardage on the card suggests. Avoiding the steep bank on the left an ideal drive at the gap will set up a clear view of the green for the second shot. There is more room for a tee shot down the right side but it will leave a blind second shot over the sand hill.”