Named after the 100 foot high pillar lighthouse built in the 1830’s one of three lighthouses in Burnham-on-Sea. The other ones are the old lighthouse ‘Round Tower’ on The Esplanade which has been inactive since 1832, it has a castellated top and was lowered so that it was not confused with the High Lighthouse. The third is the ‘Low Lighthouse’ built in 1832 the nine legged wooden lighthouse situated on the beach and was used to compliment the High Lighthouse as a navigation aid for shipping. The Low lighthouse lights were inactive between 1969 and 1993 and were re-established on 31 December 1993. The ‘High Lighthouse’ has been inactive since 1993 and is now a private house.
The original 18th hole was 267 yards long from a tee placed on a large sand hill on the right of today’s 18th fairway. It is still visible today and was used for years by Fred Bradbeer as a teaching tee. The drive was towards a narrow valley and over a large bunker to leave a blind shot over a ridge which ran diagonally across the fairway about 100 yards short of the green.
In 1901 the tee was moved back to make the hole 345 yards long and a better finishing hole. In the 1910 extension by Herbert Fowler he cleared the dunes around the old 17th green. This was a short blind hole of 122 yards over a huge dune to a small green which today would sit close to the middle of the start of the 18th fairway. He then moved the tee back close to the new 17th green to make a 440 yard hole and one he regarded as probably one of the finest finishing holes in the country. Finally Alison was asked in 1936 to improve the “neck” at the approach to the 18th green providing a clear view of the green.