“For long hitters, unless you are going for the green, a fairway wood will be better from the tee playing left of the fairway bunker that catches many a drive. The approach is much easier when the pin is on the lower tier but if on the back, a pitch and run in dry conditions is the most successful play.”
Old Kent Road
In 1891 a sandy track ran from the Berrow Church to the Berrow Inn across what is now the 16th hole. In those days it was the fifth hole and was similar to today’s 16th but with the tee much further back and right of today’s tee and the green fifty yards further on from today’s green. At 417 yards, bogey 5, it was the longest hole on the course. This sandy track ran across the 5th fairway and along the side of a huge sand hill to the right of the 5th green called “Majuba”. At this point it was a very unpleasant and unplayable track with deep pot holes and scrub. It was called “The Old Kent Road” and was an integral part of the course. The “Old Kent Road” is highlighted on Leach’s map of the course in 1894.
The hole was shortened by moving the tee forward when it was extended to 18 holes in 1897 to keep away from the line of the new outward holes, and shortened again with a new green in the 1901 extension when the tee for the 17th hole was moved. The hole has changed very little since then.