|Burnham Golf Club was opened in
1891. It was a nine hole course laid out amongst the
sand dunes of the Berrow Warren close to the Burnham
lighthouse. It had been designed by the golf professional
at Royal North Devon, Charles Gibson, using the design
principles of the day; if there was a large sand dune
you hit the ball over it and if there was a deep hollow
then there would be a green. By 1896 the members wanted
to extend the course to Berrow Church and the Lords
of the Manor agreed only if the name of the club was
changed to Burnham & Berrow Golf Club.
A further extension beyond the church followed in 1901, and in 1910 the first ‘professional’ course designer, Herbert Fowler, a member of the Club, extended the course to over 6000 yards. It was in this phase that Fowler designed the famous Church Hole and the current 18th hole. In 1913 Harry Colt produced a blueprint to turn the course into the challenge it is today. It was the single most significant action in the development of the course. He removed all the blind shots and the weaker holes and introduced new 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th, 9th, 10th, 16th and 17th holes. The war interrupted the construction of the new holes which were not completed until 1923. Colt’s close partner Hugh Alison was, again fortuitously, a member of the Club and so able to keep a close eye on progress. Colt also invited Dr Alistair Mackenzie, who was later to design Augusta National, to give his views on the new 9th and 10th holes. It was this course that saw Burnham & Berrow through the Club’s boom years in the 1920s and 1930s when it built the reputation that it still holds today.
J H Taylor - The first Professional
|The first professional was a young
man from Royal North Devon, J H Taylor, who was destined
to become one of the greatest of all golf professionals and 5 times winner of the Open Championship.
Although he only stayed at Burnham for 16 months, his
impact on the course and the community was huge. He
looked back on his time at Burnham as crucial in his
development as a professional golfer, as it was his
first post and he found he loved the challenge.
The next two professionals were a father and son, Walter Foord and Ernest Foord. Walter was more of a groundsman and club repairer whereas his son was an exceptional player. Ernest became a professional in 1900 when only 16 years old and among his assistants was Ernest Whitcombe whose family lived close to the church in Berrow. He is known to have beaten Taylor in an exhibition match over 36 holes in 1913 which left Taylor full of admiration for the young man. During the First World War Ernest emigrated to America and although he did not respond to letters sent to him from the Club, it is believed he had a successful golfing career. In 1919 the new club professional was Bob Bradbeer, from another Berrow family, this time of ten boys, seven of whom became successful professional golfers. In 1938 his brother Fred took over until 1969 when Bob’s son, Richard took up the post until 1979. Sixty years of Bradbeers as club professionals! Is this a record?
|The present Clubhouse was built in 1910 and with Colt’s new course completed by 1923 the Club was attracting a good membership and many visitors. In 1923 the membership was 430 full members and visitors numbered 4000, and these figures remained relatively constant for the next 17 years. In 1928 the Club completed the purchase of the golf club for £2350 and in 1933 ladies were allowed to join the Club as Associate Members. The Ladies had their own course built in 1892, just south of the men’s course but in 1932 the lease was not renewed. As a result the men offered the ladies the opportunity to join the men’s Club provided they funded the necessary Clubhouse changes themselves. In 1934 the men’s membership was 400 and the ladies’ 91.||
The new pavilion built in 1910
|After the 1939-45 war, membership
dropped alarmingly. For the next 10 to 15 years golf
clubs all over the country were struggling to make ends
meet. By the 1960s the Club Committee was assessing
the assets of the Club with a view to development. This
was the path which eventually led to the loss of one
of the finest holes of the course, the 13th, the ‘Old
Mill’ hole close to the Berrow Common. In 1976
the club received £65,000 from the sale of these
6 acres of land which at the time was hailed as a new
beginning. In a way it was but it had to be associated
with a complete reappraisal of the way the Club’s
finances were being run. This was successful and since
the 1980s the Club has enjoyed financial stability.
Another feature which has dramatically changed since the war is the shoreline along the western boundary of the course. The high tide line has moved a good 100 metres out to sea from its wartime position along the edge of the current 4th fairway. This has opened up land which the club has used for the development of a new nine hole course (18 tees) and has provided 100 acres for ecological conservation in the form of a salt marsh providing habitat for many rare species of flora and fauna.
The nine hole was designed by Fred Hawtree and opened in 1977. There were a number of difficulties associated with the quality of soil used and the length of time it took for the course to show any improvement but there are some excellent holes and today it ranks as a fine addition to the golfing experience at Burnham.
Aerial view of the course (circa 1980)
The Burnham and Berrow golf course has been selected for many major amateur championships throughout its existence. It has hosted over 40 such Championships including the Men’s and Ladies’ Amateur Championships, the Men’s and Ladies’ Home Internationals, the Brabazon Trophy, the Men’s and Ladies’ County Finals and 3 Varsity matches. It is said of a good championship course that the best players usually come out on top. That certainly appears to be the case at Burnham where the final of the 2006 English Amateur Championship was played out between the two best amateur players in the Country. Both players now well established on the Professional Circuit.
For further information on the history of the club please refer to ‘Between the Church and the Lighthouse‘ written by Philip Richards available from the office of the Managing Secretary at BBGC.